Susan Binau CV
Born in Copenhagen, Denmark
Currently Resides in Celebration, Florida, USA
Mother of 4: Christina, Malene, Christian, & Andy
Susan Binau is a global philanthropist, social entrepreneur, published author, motivational speaker, businesswoman, and colon cancer survivor. Since 2009, Susan has developed resources for families to use when coping with cancer, grief, and the death or imminent death (hospice care) of a friend or family member.
- Masters Degree in Adult Education & Human Resource Development
- Bachelors Degree in Adult Teaching (Aarhus Universitet Danmarks Lærerhøjskole)
- Marketing & Leadership Training (Danish Bachelor of Commerce Accreditation Program
- Certification in Cognitive Behavioral and Psychological Testing
Susan's cancer patient advocacy journey began in 2006 when she was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer a few days after her son's 2nd birthday and discovered the lack of resources available for families in that situation. In 2009 she moved to the U.S. with her family to start a global cancer awareness program that would support the families and children of people diagnosed with cancer. The goal was to make it easier for patients and their loved ones to navigate the turbulent time from diagnosis to healing or end of life.
In 2011, Susan developed the AngelKIT™ and HeartPackage resources, tools designed to fulfill an unmet need identified during her research into family experiences during the critical illness or death of loved ones. Since then, AngelKIT™ and HeartPackage donations have made a difference for more than 15,000 families worldwide. Along the way, Susan built a non-profit organization in Denmark and collaborated with non-profit organizations, hospitals, and hospices in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Faroe Islands, and the United States.
Susan's current projects, Grief Heroes Foundation – an ambitious non-profit initiative to advocate for, educate, and support grieving children and teenagers, and Serenity Academy – the first-ever online platform providing programs for people navigating death and serious health transitions, aim to bring hope, light, and courage to even more patients and families. Her resources are based on 10 years of development and have been proven to work in 5 countries, supporting thousands of families.
She has plans to begin hosting large-scale charity events in 2021.
- Mor Må Jeg Få Din Pc, Hvis Du Dør? - Susan Binau, Alan Binau
- Til sygdom os skiller E-bog│Sådan overlever kærligheden, når det er svært
- Mor, Mor må jeg få din pc, hvis du dør? (2nd edition), Forlaget Indblik, 2012
- Find your networking style, CEONEO 2008
- En værdig afsked - bogen om døden, MD Klara Balling and Susan Binau.
Morpho Publisher, 2009
The Caring Soul Series is a collection of three inspirational self-help books, which are based on true stories and focus on people dealing with challenging life experiences ranging from a serious illness to death and grieving.
- Mommy, Can I Call You In Heaven?: How we coped with cancer as a family
- Till sickness do us part–how love survives difficult times, Gads Forlag, 2009
- The Art of Dying - writing your own final chapter
Grief Series For Children Ages 3 to 12.
The books in the Super Dog Zam Grief series
offer families with grieving children a self-help tool to use at home.
- The Parent's Guide - how to support your grieving child
- The Super Dog ZAM ages 3-5: A helping paw for grieving children
- The Super Dog ZAM ages 6-9: A helping pal for grieving children
- The Super Dog ZAM ages 10 -12: A companion for grieving children
- A dignified passing - an inspirational booklet for relatives of a
terminally ill or dying patient. Landsforeningen Stoette for Afskeden, 2013
Addressing the difficult topics of illness, death, and grief in her books was a way to create awareness of harmful cultural taboos. Sharing her own experiences and the experiences of her family opened much-needed community and international dialog on this topic, ultimately leading to speaking engagements throughout Denmark and beyond.
Through these engagements, Binau speaks to organizations, HR departments and healthcare professionals to provide motivation, inspiration, and guidance.
An experienced speaker, Susan has traveled internationally to share her story.